This is a question we see a lot about this version of Windows and Hotmail. There are a few methods to remove a Hotmail (Microsoft) account from Windows 10. Let’s start with the easiest.
Method 1: Remove Hotmail From Windows 10 Desktop Settings
- Go to ‘Start’ button on your desktop (lower left) and press the ‘Setting’s icon.
- In settings, click ‘Accounts’.
3. Once you’re in accounts, go ahead and click ‘Email & Accounts’ on the left panel.
4. Click on the address you want to remove from Windows 10 and press ‘Manage’.
5. Under ‘Delete account from this device’, you can click ‘remove this account from this device’. Click save and you are done.
6. A prompt will ask you whether you want to ‘Delete account and data”. Click Yes.
7. You can delete workplace or school accounts in the same way by going to ‘access work and school’ section of ‘Accounts’.
Click on the work or school account you want to delete and click ‘disconnect.
Note 1: You won’t be able to delete the Hotmail or Microsoft account while you are signed into it. You will need to be signed into an alternative Hotmail email account or a local account.
Note 2: If you don’t see a ‘delete’ option for an workplace/school account, go to the ‘access work and school’ tab, Click on the work or school account you want to delete, and disconnect the associated email account. Then go back into accounts and you should see the ‘delete’ option.
Note 3: If you mistakenly deleted your account, we have a guide on how to recover a Hotmail account.
Here are some alternative options to unlink your Hotmail or Microsoft account from Windows 10 in case the first method didn’t work.
Method 2: Unlink Hotmail/Microsoft Account Through Windows Command
- Press the windows key + the letter ‘R’ on your keyboard. Then type the word ‘netplwiz’ into the search bar and press Ok.The Netplwiz.exe extension is an Advanced Account Control Panel.
2. In the netplwiz extension you will see a list of account users. Click on the Hotmail account you want to remove from Windows 10 and press remove.
3. A prompt will appear asking you to confirm if you want to remove windows hotmail or live account. Click Yes to confirm removal.