If you delete an email on Hotmail only to later realize that you need it, you don’t have to worry.
In this tutorial, we’ll show you how to retrieve deleted emails from Hotmail.
Recover Deleted Hotmail Emails From The Deleted Items Folder
Take these steps to recover emails from the deleted items folder:
- Open Outlook on your computer.
- Select the Deleted Items folder from the left pane.
3. To recover an email message, simply drag it from the Deleted Items folder to your inbox or any other folder that you want to save it in.
4. You could also right click on the deleted email, click move and select “other folder”.
5. Select the folder you want to move it to and click ok.
Can You Access Recoverable Items Folder From Mobile
Lost emails after Hotmail signup or emails deleted from the deleted items folder are stored in the recoverable items folder. This folder is not accessible from Mobile.
How To Recover Permanently Deleted Emails From Hotmail (Outlook.com)
If you have emptied your deleted items folder in outlook, you can still restore the permanently deleted emails if you act quickly.
When you delete an email, it is moved to the Deleted Items folder. If you don’t empty the Deleted Items folder, then your deleted emails will be there for up to 30 days.
If you empty the Deleted Items folder, you can still recover your emails using the Recover Deleted Items tool for up to 30 days.
To recover emails deleted from your Hotmail (Outlook) deleted items folder, follow these steps:
- Go to the deleted items folder and click recover items recently removed from this folder.
2. Select the emails you want to recover and click restore.
If you choose the purge option, this will permanently delete the selected emails. You cannot recover emails after you purge them from the deleted items folder.
Note: If you want to delete all emails from one sender in Hotmail, we have a guide through the hyperlink.
How Long Does It Take For Hotmail Emails To Be Permanently Deleted From Deleted Folder?
When you delete an email in your Hotmail account, it will be stored in the Deleted folder for a maximum of 30 days. After that, it will be permanently deleted.
If you delete a message from the email trash bin, it is permanently deleted after 30 days. If you want to recover it, you must restore it within these 30 days. After this time has elapsed, the message will be permanently deleted and cannot be recovered.
More so, emails in the Junk folder will be deleted permanently every 10 days.
How To Stop Outlook.com From Automatically Deleting Emails
By default, emails in Outlook.com are automatically deleted after 30 days, which can be too short if you’re not checking your email every day. The good news is that there’s a way to control the auto-deletion settings and stop your emails from being automatically deleted.
You can go to the folder settings for any Outlook.com folder, including Inbox, Junk, Drafts and Sent Items, and set the folder to keep all emails or delete them after a specified number of days.
For instance, you can do this for the inbox folder using the following steps:
- Go to your inbox folder. Right click on the folder and select properties.
2. In the auto archive tab, select “archive items in this folder using the default settings”, then select “default archive settings.”
3. The default archive period is capped at 90 days. But in the default archiving folder settings, you can adjust the period for deleting old emails to as many months as you like. For instance, in this case, I have set the period to 60 months. I have also unchecked “permanently delete old items”.
4. If you want more control, you can set your own archiving settings. Go back to the auto archive tab and adjust the archiving and deletion periods to your liking.